People: Our Strength, Our Future
A career at Black & McDonald will grant you the opportunity to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement, help reinforce our values and shape our contribution to community, and drive our continued success. Our vision is to be the best company to work for; the best company for safety, quality and value; the best company for customer service; and the best company for technical expertise.
Black & McDonald is an integrated, multi-trade contractor providing electrical, mechanical, utility and maintenance services to government, industrial, commercial and institutional markets. The company currently operates across Canada, US and Bermuda with over 5,500 employees working out of a network of more than 26 offices. Since 1921, Black & McDonald has remained a family-owned business with an uncompromising commitment to the founder's principles of delivery as promised and fairness to all. The company has followed a planned course of diversification and expansion, combining growth and financial stability with ongoing investment in our people, and a willingness to pioneer new business opportunities and directions.
Reporting to the Estimating Manager, the Junior Electrical / Civil Estimator participates in the preparation of electrical and civil work take-offs and pricing for estimates related to MTO (Municipal) /street lighting, traffic intersections and utility projects. They will provide estimating support to the Utilities Estimating Department, with emphasis on reporting and monitoring progress, planning, scheduling, and dealing with project change.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares electrical/civil take-offs and estimates on MTO (Municipal) / Street lighting, traffic intersections and utility projects including costs of materials, labour and equipment required for projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications.
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing with the Project Manager and Estimating Manager.
- Participate in tendering procedures; examines and analyzes tenders.
- Establishes and maintains tendering process and monitoring costs.
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders.
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Liaises, consults and communicates with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors.
- Updates and maintains Bid2Win database.